It seems like these days eating organic foods has become increasingly popular. But why? Is it just a health trend we picked up from various celebrities, or has eating organic really turned into a lifestyle? Personally, I do not think eating organic is just a trend. Many people have turned to organic foods for a variety of reasons:
1. Its healthier for you! Organic foods tend to have higher levels of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron etc. than those grown non-organically.
2. Organic foods lack food additives that can potentially cause health problems such as heart disease and osteoporisis. The Soil Association bans additives such as hydrogenated fat, aspartame, and monosodium glutamate in all organic products.
3. By eating organic, you are also avoid pesticides. Conventionally farmed products are exposed to over 400 chemical pesticides, but because most of us are not there to see how our food is being grown, we remain oblivious. Pesticides are actually very dangerous to our health and can lead to reproductive problems and cancer.
4. Reliance on drugs are removed. Often times farmers use antibiotics on farm animals that have questionable consequences on human health. By eating organic, you can ensure that none of these are being consumed in your food.
5. Lastly, it tastes better! Many people agree that organic fruits and vegetables have a better flavor compared to those grown non-organically. I think knowing that your food is grown all-natural is a very mentally satisfying benefit to most people.
What do you choose to eat organic foods? Comment and share your thoughts!
Photo By <a target=’_blank’ href=’http://www.flickr.com/photos/22198928@N00/890670192/’>thebittenword.com</a> via <a href=”http://stockpholio.com/” target=”_blank”>StockPholio.com</a>